This is what we found under the storage bed floor.
Hopefully you can see by the photo.....but all they had supporting the bed floor was about 3/4 inch of wood strip stapled into the bed frame. The staples were even starting to pull free.We removed their wood, added a support from below and then nailed a 1 x 2 into it's place. We also added supports running across the entire frame. Then laid the floor on top and nailed everything together.
This is the completed floor. Now we are going to use joist hangers at the foot of the bed to hold the 2x4's we are installing for added support for the plywood top. The other end of the 2x4's could be screwed into the frame.
Here is the finished product. The floor is now stable and the 2x4's support the plywood above. Now I can easily lift the bed to reach the storage....where I can actually store stuff now and not worry the floor will fail.
One more project we can check off the to do list. We had planned on leaving here on Wednesday, but the weather has taken a turn for the worse. A cold front came through this morning and although we survived the rain and thunderstorm, the wind has now become an issue. They are forecasting winds which could gust up to 70 miles an hour for the rest of today and tomorrow. Pulling a 40 foot fifth wheel through that kind of wind could be disastrous. So, we will stay put til Thursday. I noticed the weather in Phoenix was sunny and in the 80's today.....